Sunday, February 6, 2011

Catholic drummer

The kids and I attended Mass on the Feast Day of St. Blaise. There is a special blessing the priest gives at the end of Mass asking St. Blaise to interceed on our behalf to the Lord, specifically with problems of the throat (but against all evil....I like that part!). It was my little boys' first memorable celebration of the Feast. Oh yeah....St. Blaise was an early martyr of the Church and through his prayerful intercession a small boy was saved from choking a fish bone, hence the whole throat thing. Anyhow, the blessing involves the priest placing two blessed candles against the throat.

While at the altar rail, and while watching others being blessed, Sean leans over to inform me,
"But Mom the candles aren't lit!" (This is a good thing since clothes and hair would go up in flames, but a disappointment to a five-year old boy).

The next day while playing on the floor, Max walked over with 2 drumsticks held just as Father held the candles. He informed me he was a priest and he blessed my throat with drumsticks. I'm just glad he is paying attention!

No comments: