Thursday, August 2, 2007

A thought on Confession

This is a big year for Luke as he will celebrate 2 sacraments in the Church, First Reconcilliation and First Holy Communion. We study religion nearly everyday, say our prayers, and I try to find activities that will help the kids grow in their relationship with God. And then there are the everyday occurances that drill the lessons home.

Today, Sean picked up Luke's lego creation and smashed it on the floor, and the loud complaints soon followed. So Sean went to time-out with a discussion on not ruining other's creations. After about 30 seconds Luke looked my way and requested his brother's "release" since Luke had first taken one of Sean's blocks, which prompted the destructive fury.

Then a discussion about sharing, using words, etc. followed. Luke just looked at me and giggled.

"I feel so good for telling the truth", he said.

I had to smile and agree, and then I started to think. Luke is so lucky, as we are as well, to belong to a Church made up of Sacraments instituted by Christ. On this day, I am so thankful that sometime soon, Luke will get to go before God and confess his sins. The act of verbally admitting ones faults and wrongs and apologizing is so important. The forgiveness that his mother and brother gave on this day will never compare to the amazing forgiveness and grace that will be offered to him by God at his Confession. I only hope that the giggles of happiness he had today be followed by years of humility, grace, and fortitude gained by the Sacrament of Confession.

No comments: