Wednesday, April 11, 2007

I did it!!!!

While this is one of Sean's favorite sayings at the moment (imagine loud yell, proud smile, hands clenched in the air as he masters a new feat), this time it is for myself. And only other moms will appreciate it, but here goes. Today, I accomplished everything on my to-do list! I don't remember the last time it happened, and frankly I fear it may not happen again for 16 or so years. So this entry will log my day and what I got done. First, let me acknowledge that I hate that I still try to accomplish my to-do list. I realize that being a fun, loving mom comes first (or make that second to a fun, loving wife...uh hmmmm.....) I struggle to let go of the housework, errands, and "stuff of daily living". It is a battle I admit exists for me and I am working to tame the "crazy demon woman" within who just wants to check off the stuff on the list. There are some days when most of the stuff gets done, but I crumple into a heap of "mom guilt" at night as I think of the time I squandered on things other than the children, who are growing much too fast. Then there are the days when the kids and I have a fun time, but I have trouble falling asleep as I ponder the messy state of affairs in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, etc.

But, here was today. I got up at 4:45 and was at church by 5 for adoration. I spent an hour in prayer (this normally falls as Patrick's Wednesday morning duty, but he was tired, and has a big test, and I can always use points in my "fun, loving wife" tally--so I went for him). I was at home by 6 for a jog with the dog (again, not my usual thing, but I am trying to make it that...too much Easter candy or something!!). It rained on our jog, so I gave Bosco a bath when we got home. I finished my exercising, cleaned the bathroom that smelled like dog and showered by 7:30. Did the wake-up, day clothes, breakfast, kid thing. Dusted, vacuumed, swept, and mopped the house, did two loads of laundry. Made a snack for the kiddos (I swear they would eat all day!) We did school, including are new subject (how to read music) and tried a bit of piano--eek, I can play with one hand, but not two. We had lunch. I paid bills. We went to the Children's Museum (this usually dispels any mom guilt for the day). We had dinner (wendy's takeout since the chicken I was planning to make refuses to thaw!). We had baths, read books, and were in bed by 7. It never, ever happens this way. Thank you God for miracles like this!

No comments: