Saturday, July 14, 2007

Siblings are a blessing

Sure they fight, whine, and loudly disagree (at times)...but they are also a blessing to one another. Like today, when after a long...hot....walk outside we had another battle with Kelty Family Foe #1....the fire ants. As always, Sean was our first into battle. While I was cleaning up the stroller and walk accessories, I heard Luke yell..."Mom, Sean has ants..."and then the cries from the baby began. I now know the drill well....I run. I strip off his shoes, clothes, diaper, and I swat, shoe, wipe, the ants off as fast as possible. I looked for Luke and saw him crying to my side. He is very empathetic to his "baby's" pains. I ran the baby inside only to call over my shoulder, "Sarah, please grab Sean's clothes and shoes....bang them off if you are brave". I plopped the baby in the sink, and by then, Sarah was at my side and said, "I already did Mama, here they are". That girl is brave! I calmed the baby and had him play in the cool sink water. Then I sat him on the couch with an ice pack on the bites I could see. Sarah then played Mama to Sean as she surrounded him with toys and books and played with him while I hunted down the Benedryl (I'm nearly out.....I hate those ants!) Needless to say the boy is fine, and quite tough. He only cried until the ants were off. After ice, benedryl, and his sister, he was quite happy. However, 10 ant blisters later, Mama was not. Therefore, Daddy went outside to begin the Kelty assault. The man raked, pulled weeds, and is now resetting all the brick that surrounds the pool slab...many, many ants around those parts. He has laid fire ant killer under all the brick before resetting it. We may be half-way done???? But sooner or later the ants will get the hint and move off our property. If we are nothing, we are a team that fights and plays together. They are all my little blessings.

No comments: