Thursday, March 8, 2007

Shady business ethics

While most boys ages 6-9 aspire to be athletes and superheroes or better yet...their Dad, I'm afraid my son may hope to be a CFO of a company with little ethics oversight. Someone better warn Jeff Skilling and Ken Ley to make room at the big house.....Luke Kelty is now a "businessman". While changing a squirming toddler I caught the big kids in heated conversation. I questioned what was up, and thankfully Sarah Clare blurted out, "Luke took money from our friends for Pokemon cards." Now, this is not the first time Luke has tried to sell various household items of his for profit...and he knows we don't like the practice (yes...hypocritical enough as his parents were, for a short time, some of Craig's list most frequent listers) nonetheless... Seeing as the diaperchange was a challenge, I called in for disciplinary reinforcement, ie...Dad. Now, for Luke this was a blessing. In the middle of multiple activities my discipline tends to the "What did you do? You know not to do that...what were you thinking?" rhetoric. Now, Dad is law here, but he is very patient, interested, and resolved to get to the bottom of things. Eitherway, it usually ends up a better lesson, if Dad teaches it. Patrick, patiently asked all the right questions (and allowed Luke to think through the answers). I tend to forget that step! At one point when the discussion headed to the "Why did you do it if you knew it was wrong" direction Luke answered...."I know, mortal sin...." You have to imagine a picky eater remembering to eat broccoli after an hour of staring at his plate to understand the tone of voice here......So he is beginning to understand these faith items, seemingly he he cares little for action at this point.....(another blog entry altogether I suspect....) Anyhow, I stifled disappointment and a smile at the same time. A few moments later I caught Patrick's eyes, and I saw disbelief.....he had counted out the "loot" Luke had brought home from his day of "direct sales".....Patrick flatly stated, "$15 and some change....in quarters...." Yes my son, who I thought had brought home some pennies and nickles, had made a $15 profit by selling about 15 Pokemon cards. Where have I failed? After further discussion and a monetary refund in full to his friends the event ended. And so I worry, yet again, about my children. Have we taught right from wrong? On the bright side, if ever strapped for cash, I now know there is an untapped market of youth willing to pay top dollar for trading cards....what ever happened to those Garbage Pail kid cards I once had????

No comments: